Tuesday, 12 January 2010

What to do?

Ok

So anyone that's been reading will know I've been living the life of a backpacker for the last 3 years... going from job to job, from country to country...

It's a hard life, but some one's got to do it!

Last year I applied for, interviewed for, and got a full time position. Which I decided at the last possible moment that I didn't want. (Mainly because I'd be working with a single old bat, and thought that in itself would drive me batty, and it interfered with all my upcoming holidays! Priorities!)

Anyways I've pretty much been working where I am at the moment for almost a year now, in between various holidays that I've escaped on! It's the longest job I've had over here.

They're advertising a full time position in the next few weeks, and countless people have told me I should apply.

I love it here, the people are awesome the patients are right cacks, and it's an area I love to work in, and there's so many area's I'd love to dive right into.

I just don't know if I could handle having a full time job again.

I've loved my time over here, the uncertainty of it all. not knowing where I'll be in 3 weeks!
If I go full time, I'd have to actually behave, no more mocking, and living life on a whim.

I'd actually have to do more of the skut work I've avoided like cannulating etc and all the crappy office politics that surround this place. I can't just throw it in the don't know don't care basket!
And I'd get paid considerably less... mmm
and get less holidays... but they would be paid..

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, since I'm assuming I'd just get the job because I'm pure gold!!

I don't want to mess them around and go for an interview, and pass if they offer it to me, cause I've had a major freak out like last time.

The interview itself is a scary thought, complete with a 30min presentation on a topic of their choosing...

I hate public speaking with a passion, and avoid it at all costs!

What to do people, what to do?

7 comments:

Jaime S said...

Well I'm sure another job will come up in the future. It doesn't really matter which path you take :)

Miss Coops said...

I wanna say go for it, but I just don't know. It's a really hard choice only you can make. Sorry for being no help at all! Take care xx

Kristy Burgess said...

I say bugger them, apply for it, interview for and if you get it and dont want it, decline it. It's all good practice.

Jadey said...

If you ar ehappy there then go for it and stay! Just remember there's always options of leave without pay when all your paid holidays have been used up and at least it's an income. Negotiate on the offering price if it's patying less than what you want and manipulate it all to suit you as much as possible :P

Jadey said...

PS. Having a full time job there doesn't mean you are stuck there forever you can still go whenever you feel your time there is over. So don't freak out about the commitment.

Amanda said...

Does it really pay that much less, when you take into consideration paid holidays, sick days, and public holidays, plus all the time you don't work when you're working as a locum? I know when it looked like I was going to have to work from Australia, I figured out I was going to have to charge about 25% more than my before tax rate to work as a contractor to cover all those things that you just take for granted when you're working full time.

Is it 25 days holiday a year? Particularly in this year, when you're planning to save and behave, you'll probably find that's enough- plus 8 public holiday (although I guess working in the hospital you might be working shifts, rather than standard Monday-Friday?). Even if you only stay for this year, while you're planning on being "good", you'll have a year of security, paid holidays, and a chance to save without worrying about where the next £ is coming from.

I think you should go for it, since you're happy there and people seem to like you. You've toyed with the idea of taking a full time role before, so you're obviously not adverse to the idea. Nothing lasts forever, if you hate it it's not the end of the world, you can just move on.

Come Back Brighter said...

I say go for it -- the security of a full time job will help you save which will give you more opportunity for all your crazy adventures.