Sunday, 13 July 2008

Weekend away

So last weekend I decided to make the most of it being a long weekend here, and found myself fleeing the Island in search of civilisation and fantastic company in Southampton.

Being the totally disorganised chicken that I have turned into, I realised late Friday night that I hadn’t actually written down the name or address of where we were staying, even though I was the one that booked it. Thankfully I had the forethought to email it to Nat and Amanda seconds after I booked it, and both of them were smart enough to make note! (I promise I’m not normally that disorganised) I think I was more caught up in the fact that I was escaping than anything else… it’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it.
Being marooned over here for 2 months is starting to take it’s toll!

My plane out of here was delayed, it was like the island wouldn’t let me leave. Thankfully I managed to break through the magnetic force field surrounding this wee island, and up, up and away we went.
I wouldn’t recommend flying in crazy torrential rain, strong winds, and while suffering the effects of over indulging in the odd alcoholic beverage the night before.

Not long after take off we got to experience some extreme (I’m going to plummet to my death style) turbulence, not good when you‘re already feeling like you’ve seen better days. It was the first time I’ve actually gone searching through the back of the seat for that attractive brown bag… just in case.
Only to remember that I was flying budget style and they don’t supply them… I almost wept!

Thankfully the plane flight was relatively short and the bag wasn’t required (poor Jim my seat mate was eyeing me off just waiting for me to blow!)

Nat picked me up at the airport, and we headed in to navigate the streets of the city.
Lucky I have such organised friends, Nat had printed out maps and actually studied them on how to get to the hotel and with a few wrong turns we arrived.

Stayed at this quaint little Hotel called the Winston Hotel, which was attached to a pub. I found it on Laterooms, and ended up getting a pretty good deal.

Dropped our bags and headed into the city in search of our final contender for the weekends events Amanda. And where else would you expect her to be but tucked up in a Starbucks.. :O)

The trio formed we set off to have a look around, walked along some of the city’s ancient walls dating back hundreds of years. I marvelled in the number of shops… It’s hard for you to imagine it… I know… but we have like 5 shops in our main street here on the island… and one supermarket…. Yet everywhere you looked in Southampton, were shops, shops and more shops!
I went a little insane, but there were oh so many choices!


Amanda put on a brave face having sprained her ankle the night before, especially since she was travelling with two radiographers, not the most sympathetic of companions!

Weather getting the better of us saw us head back to the hotel, for a late afternoon nap, before Nat and Amanda dolled themselves up for a night on the town… I’m not girly girl… many people have tried… and all most have failed.

Before setting out in search of the Bargate area… also known as the student area of Southampton.

It was on the way that we came across the little people that lived outside a school, complete with a coloured pencil fence… who wouldn’t send their children to a school with a coloured pencil fence… it’s high on my list of priorities if I ever need to pick a school now.

Many pictures were taken with them, both sober and slightly intoxicated.

Though for some reason it was the little boy that got all of the attention..

Had a delicious Chinese meal, which was delicious… mmm nothing hit’s the spot like a good chicken and cashew nuts… it’s all in the nuts not the sauce.

Before going in search of some alternate entertainment.

Many drinks were consumed throughout the night, the best being the discovery of the best ever shot.

When trying to work out which club was the best we stumbled upon Orange Rooms it was very orange… it had a fairly large line forming outside with the whole one out one in routine.. After asking the girls in front of us if it was any good, they replied it’s ok, but it’s the Jammy Donut shots that are awesome…


So it’s no surprise that our first drink once we got in was one of those. It was so good… actually it was better than good. I’m making it my mission to introduce as many people as I can to this new found shot…

First you roll the shot glass in sugar, so you have a nice rim of sugar, then you add a shot of chambord, then top it off with a squirt of fresh cream, then shot away…

It really does taste like a jam donut.. Yum.

(I’m having a hard time finding a shop that sells chambord over here though, I might have to hold off until I escape the island again, they’ve heard of it, but the Manx don’t drink it… it’s too girly I’ve been told, and the Manx are real men!)

Left there and headed back when it closed just before 1am, and lost Nat in the crowds (well maybe not lost but parted company), after stealing the room key from her bag..

I did feel guilty about deserting one of the trio, especially since earlier in the night I was given strict orders to make sure she got back to the room safely (which in the end she did, it was just slightly later than expected) but really she did have a way better offer.

With the trio down to two we headed back, and I can safely say that had Amanda not been there, I would have gotten slightly lost… lucky someone was some what sober.
I’ll admit to having a hard time getting my legs to go up the stairs at the hotel…

At 5am it became apparent that we were heading to the Isle of Wight on a rescue mission.

TBC...

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I’ll admit to having a hard time getting my legs to go up the stairs at the hotel…

Alternatively, that could have been "I'll admit to crawling up the stairs at the hotel", hehe.

That was a fun night, it really was very easy to get home, but I guess you got a bit confused under the haze of alcohol.

Ah, the rescue mission :)

Would you believe, my stupid ankle still hurts? Annoying, since it never hurt enough to stop me walking (except maybe the night I did it, when I probably shouldn't have walked home, but you know- no choice), yet hurts enough to be annoying. Grumble.

Come Back Brighter said...

I imagine your Island to be just like the island in Lost, complete with Polar bears (although without tails, being Manx bears, obvs). But yes, I'm surprised you were able to leave the island -- but I'm yet to read if it let you return...

Anonymous said...

I don't remember having to crawl up the stairs... maybe i've erased that imaged from my mind... :O) I think you're imaginign things Amanda!

see you need to come to the island for an xray, radiation cures everything! did you not learn that last weekend!?!

Ah.... the famous Jay!
the island is a lot like being part of Lost, but about 1/10 of the size.
I saw people today... not just a person!
I want to see a Manx polar bear (though do polar bears even have tails in the first place?... ) though I feel you're mocking me!
i'm yet to believe that there are tailess cats here... all the ones i've seen have had propper tails.. a manx cat indeed!

and surprisingly they let me back in... they really must be desperate

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Hope you enjoyed your visit to Southampton. It isn't the prettiest city in the UK , but there are hundreds of things to do and places to go, especially for young people like you.