Saturday, 29 November 2008

Guy Fawkes: Essex style

I love fireworks

This year I was actually able to go and see some fireworks at the local school, and let some off as well.

Every year as a kid we’d spend the month making a massive bonfire at the end of our street
(I lived in a cul-de-sac, which backed onto the bush…)

I’m talking properly made, with tyres at the bottom to keep it burning for days!

Our street was made up of lots of children, everyone was one year older than the next.
And every year there’d be a person made out of pillows and decorated to represent one of the children.

That got put right on the top.

Then on bonfire night, the whole street would gather as the fire was lit, then fireworks and sparklers were lit…

it was a great time.

It stopped when the fire bans came into play, which was a shame…

but then who wants the whole bush to go up in smoke too.

I pretty much missed it last year over here, as all the major celebrations and fireworks happened over the weekend I was moving, so I just got to watch from a far.

But this year, I was set. Learnt early on that there would be fireworks at the local school just down the road from me, and convinced Pete my ex flatmate that he just couldn’t miss it!



It was awesome!


Then Saturday headed over to Amanda and Jay’s to have our own mini celebration, complete with an awesome BBQ, and Fireworks.


Took a bit of convincing that BBQ’ing in the rain was acceptable.

Just because it’s cold and wet doesn’t mean you cant have a BBQ Jay!

So Jay cooked up a storm, and then we set about lighting the fireworks..


A few charred fingers,

and some loud bangs,

with pretty colours!


I loved the rockets the best,


Twas fun.


There’s nothing better than setting off your own fireworks!

Thanks guys for a great night!

No comments: