Sunday, 21 December 2008

Carols


I totally missed the carols in the domain this weekend… one of those things that happen when you’re not in the right country, at the right time.

There’s nothing more Christmassy then sitting outside on a rug in the sun, with good friends, and crazy people surrounding you, and then singing Christmas carols by candlelight once the sun goes down.

Or the Nepean Belle Carols by the river. that I’ve been to every year since I was 4...

With the nativity with a real donkey, and those crazy violin playing kids from the same family (there were like 8 of them) all ginger haired and oh so clever!

It just makes Christmas feel that much closer.

They just don’t have anything like it over here.

I guess being the middle of winter, and unpredictable weather, leaves sitting outside with candles, less desirable.

They did have some carols one day at work around the Christmas tree. Complete with mulled wine and minced pies. But had it at 4pm, and it was extremely busy we completely missed it. Couldn’t even look out the window and sing along.

But I can’t find anything in the local paper to say advertise any coming up.

I may just have to sing chistmas carols to myself.

Fact of the day:

Carols By Candlelight began in Oz, when a Melbourne late night radio announcer (Norman Banks) was walking home after his shift one Christmas Eve and looked up to see an elderly woman sitting by the window of her flat, holding a candle and singing along to the Christmas carols playing on her radio in 1937.

Wondering how many others spent Christmas alone, he had the idea to gather a large group of people to all sing Christmas carols together by candlelight, and the first such event was held the following Christmas.

Maybe I'll inspire some UK radio announcer and next year there'll be a carols by candlelight in the UK somewhere!?!

Though knowing my luck, I'll set the fire alarm off in the proces of lighting the candle!

3 comments:

Jaime S said...

Hiya, I miss carols too, I'll have to make sure to do it some year soon too :).

Amanda said...

You know what I'm thinking about now? The smell of Carols by Candlelight. Hmmm...burning wax. Strange, no?

Come Back Brighter said...

It sounds nice, I've never experienced anything like that -- other than formal, organised "carol concerts" which are usually church-based