Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Aberdeen: Bon Accord

So I've been up here 3 weeks, and what have I seen?

Not all that much!

These pictures I took on my first weekend here, it was cloudy and overcast, and windy.

In other words.... a typical day.


Main street of town: Union Street, it's full of anything and everything you could possibly want... it goes on and on and on too!

Castlegate: the town's very own castle!

The Union Terrace Gardens




It even has a pet tiger!
You could almost imagine you're in Edinburgh, with the gardens resembling the Princes street gardens, and the cobblestones walkways, and the crazy accents!..
It's just not as pretty, and doesn't quiet have the same feel.
Some random facts about Aberdeen:
  • Aberdeen's meant to be Scotland's 3rd largest city, after Edinburgh, and Glasgow, But it feels larger than Edinburgh. Mainly because it seems to take forever to get from one place to the other.
  • The locals reckon they have the best sandy beaches of Scotland... though no one seems to go to the beach! (it is winter here I'll give you that... but I'm yet to be convinced they are the best, I'm more of the opinon they look better at night!)
  • Aberdeen's also known as Granite City, as the majority of all the buildings are made of granite.
  • There are over 52 golf clubs, one for every week of the year! ( I guess they like golf!)
  • It's also know as the city of bon accord (goodwill, & friendship)
  • Also the background radiation here in Aberdeen is twice that of the rest of the UK (one day here is the same as a 3hr flight to Italy!, I know what i'd prefer!)

I was looking at the calender, and realised after this week i've only got one more full week left here.. I've got a few short weeks, where I get to escape to far away places!

which means I've only got 2 more weekends here to sightsee.. and i want to make the most of them..

There's a stunning little ruin of a castle called Dunnottar castle, which is on the coast, not to far from here, and you get to scale a cliff to get there... and on a nice day I think it'd be a sight to be seen.

And I can't come up here and not go walking in the Cairngorms, especially when they're all covered in snow..

My crazy mate that I worked with in the IOM is heading up from Fife in Feb and wants to go walking so it might happen (though is a crazy friend that rode her bike from London to Athens over the summer!


1 comment:

Come Back Brighter said...

You do find some of the most random places to live -- is it worth a visit tho?