That’s how it feels after my first week up here in the far North.
You know that feeling you get when you change highschool's
That intimidating feeling when you walk into a room and see a sea of faces united, because they’ve been together for a while… they have history.
That’s the feeling I got when I walked into this particular department.
Don’t get me wrong they’ve all been lovely and helpful here, but they seem to be a very close knit group. I'm sure given time they'll warm up. I'm just very quick to judge a department these days, I either love it or hate it.
It’s been a crazy week, with 6/7 radiographer running the one scanner..
If you think of it as a computer, only one person can be scanning at one time, the rest of the time what do the rest of you do.
It’s felt sometimes as if I’m not doing anything… but when you think about it, there’s not a lot one can do when there’s 7 of you, all trying to do the same thing.
It’s a dottery group, all female, in the late 40’s early 50’s age group, and another locum from Melbourne, who’s been here 4 months, so she’s been taken in as the mascot.
The thing I find when you work with a slightly older generation, they are 100 times more serious about everything.
There’s no problem there, we’re in healthcare it should be fairly serious.
But they don’t even joke around with the patients, from time to time.
So it’s a fairly quiet working environment, with a few laughs here and there, but generally pretty quiet..
I like to make noise, but I’m thinking that might not be appreciated here,. so It looks like I might have to bite my tongue for a change, and be the well mannered girl I was brought up to be,. Aye?!
Apart from the strange dynamics in the department all is good…
I arrived to work on Monday, and realised Kerrin was starting there too… she also worked on the Isle of Man when I first got there too. she was doing CT, then I came along and she was shafted to general.. And here she’s once again been put in general after asking if there were and CT positions.
So I also stole her job here too..
She wasn’t impressed at all… but honestly I would have given up this position in a heartbeat had I known, I was blackmailed into it anyway by the agency.
She’s living over at the other hospital, and reckon the accommodation is horrible, but then mine isn’t the greatest either but it’s 3 mins walk door to door… so haven’t seen all that much of her this week, I think she’s still annoyed!
Then there’s Mel who’s also here from the Isle of Man days!, she’s a classic.
It goes to how that if you go to the Isle of Man you’ll go to the top of Scotland!
That and there’s Vic, and Paul over in Inverness, and Deb in Fife!
Maybe we’ve all just got a thing for accents.
I found it really strange though the other locum here in CT has never met any of the other locums working in the xray department..
Seems strange, but I guess you do your job and you go home… but you’d think after 4 months you’d have talked to at least one????
The patients are awesome, I love the Scottish sense of humour, it suits me down to the ground… so I’m quite happy to get out there and annoy and mock my patients… they love me for it!
Half the time I can’t understand them, but then that’s half the fun!
And they all have the surname McGee!!!!
It’s a change from John Brown!
It’s all about instructions too…
breathe in and hold yer breath!
I keep finding myself repeating words and phrases they use!!
I’m definitely working on my Scottish accent!
Saturday, 10 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment