Saturday, 24 January 2009

On the Road again

Adventures off to a great start when I realised minutes before I left that I’d booked accommodation for the Friday night, not the Saturday.

(I’m still not convinced it was my fault.. Silly websites!)
But managed to snag one of the last remaining hostel beds in the city.

Caught the Bus from Aberdeen down to the charming city of Edinburgh, for a bargain price of 8 pounds.. Took a good 3 hrs, but I slept most of the way.
Rather uneventful, except for a brief period when we drove through Dundee, I spotted a herd of Hairy Coo's...

Driving into Edinburgh was like coming home.
It’s definitely my favourite place over here, it oozes familiarity, with the back drop of the castle, cobblestones, bagpipes on the street corners, the accents.

Aberdeen has nothing on this magical place!

Found my hostel, class all the way (there’s a reason it was the one of the last remaining beds!) first stop was to find a cheap towel, in my rush to pack I totally forgot to pack mine.

It’s been too long since I travelled, or I’m used to the luxury of hotels!

I fear that over the next few days that one of those classy beanies that covers your ears is going to make an appearance on my head.
If only I didn’t look so hideous in them.

Mmm frozen vs. hideous but warm and toasty ears…

Ended up outside my favourite place, Edinburgh Castle, and there was literally no one about the place.


When I worked here 18 months ago, not a day would go past without me wandering past it.

We just have nothing like it back in OZ.

My tour starts here in Edinburgh,
Last year I read about about it when I was back home in OZ. I contemplated coming back early just to do it, but it just didn't fit in with my NZ adventures.

It may not be my smartest idea yet, heading even further north, where it’s darker, and colder!

But hey it is the year of the festivals for me…

Question is how many will I get too?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wasn't *last* year the year of the festivals?

i don't htink you should knock hats with ears, they're wonderful!